Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles

Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles

20 Movies, 20 countries 2020

#3 Belgium

"The Cinematic mother of Haneke and Gus Van Sant"
I read this sentence here in letterboxd but I don't remember who wrote it. But It's very interesting

You see, I thought I have already found the sources of inspiration for Haneke and Van Sant.

Alan Clarke (and his 1989 film "Elephant")
James Benning (who I saw his 1987 film "Landscape Suicide")

Those two films are about Violence and killing. Elephant consists of long ,Bela Tarr like tracking shots of people walking then boom shooting someone. Then the camera forces you to stare at the dead bodies for a while. "Landscape suicide" is about two murders. we see 2 loooong interregation scenes of the killers and the rest of the movie is made up of static shots of landscapes.

There's a point that could be made about the use of slow cinema techniques to try to understand the origin, nature and results of violence.
There's an essay that could be written about how those movies "Force you to watch nothing" then add something that adds meaning or a new prespective to this nothing. and how these movies give you the time to think and reflect on the movie in this nothing/dead space WHILE you are watching the movie, only for you to finish the film and find that that time wasn't enough and that you still need to think about it more.
But I'm too lazy to write this essay. and maybe this essay couldn't be written and you could only "get" it by experiencing these painful, exhausting movies for yourself.

Jeanne Dielman is a great example of movies as "anti-entertainment" compare it to something like "The Turin Horse" another film where we watch a woman do all the housework around a man in long takes for some days. and you'll find that Turin Horse was entertaining and immersive. Epic soundtrack with dancing camera movement. Breathtaking cinematography and a apocalyptic feeling of decay all around it.
Jeanne Dielman has non of that impressive icing on the cake. It's still impressive but not flashy.

This movie deserves all the praise it gets even though I don't know if I "Liked" it

3la2 liked these reviews