Stalker

Stalker

A giant of the cinema, grubby science fiction/philosophy drama Stalker is a personal favourite. Long and slow, but if you ease into it it won't drag. Very talky, but absolutely cinematic. The bulk of it is conversation about science, art and faith, from the Professor, the Writer, and the Stalker. As with Le salaire de la peur last week, it features a bunch of more-or-less contemptible men on a journey, plagued by fear. There is no other plot, other than the shifting relationships of the three men, and our insight into their personalities and motives. Unlike in Le salaire de la peur, here the fears are metaphysical. In fact, today I occasionally suspected that the journey was a figment of the imagination of 'holy fool' the Stalker.

The film is figurative and symbolic. It has things to say, but is never obvious or trite. For me, though, the reason to watch is the way it sounds and looks, with the long patient shots and slow camera moves, and the quiet soundtrack punctuated by hints of music and compelling sounds.

Raster liked these reviews