The Matrix Resurrections

The Matrix Resurrections ★★★★

There’s a scene in Lana Wachowski’s “The Matrix Resurrections,” her romantic, metatextual return to the franchise that made her and her sister Lilly stars, that encapsulates what sets this franchise apart from any other. Neo sits in reality contemplating whether he should re-enter the matrix to save Trinity: “I never believed I was the one. But she believed. It’s my turn to believe in her.”

The unbreakable bond between Neo and Trinity, a romance that transcends dimensions and time, is the human engine that propels this steampunk vehicle. Because for Wachowski, great epic filmmaking isn’t solely derived from spectacle. It begins, evolves, and transcends through humanist aims. In this entry, contrary to what the Oracle told Neo during “The Matrix Revolutions,” every beginning does not have an end. Love never dies. Wachowski’s “The Matrix Resurrections,” a fun, albeit messy metatextual sequel that struggles to find its narrative footing, soars whenever Wachowski focuses on sci-fi’s best power couple. [full review via The Playlist]