Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★★

"This is the girl"

Every time I watch a movie that's remotely weird or confusing, I call it "surreal" for lack of a better term. I've yet to actually watch a movie that fully encompasses that word and Mulholland Drive IS that movie. Most of this movie IS a dream and other than the final shot of the film not a moment of it feels real. The film is like a dream slowly unraveling and the conscience of the main character revealing itself.

David Lynch HAS been making films like this for a while but none of them (except maybe The return but I'm not done with that yet) utilize his style and filmmaking to create such a visceral experience that doesn't feel distracted by some of his tendencies. I'm looking at you Eraserhead. I can't really say I understand anything in this movie other than that it's a scathing critique of how Hollywood treats women (that's just my interpretation at least). But it's definitely just a movie that you vibe with in a metaphysical sense and trying to understand it might take away from the experience.

Aldo liked these reviews