The Witch

The Witch ★★★½

Spooktober Challenge -- Here

A really immersive period piece horror with breathtaking cinematography and a very very ominous score that had me on the edge of my seat. It's really cool finding out how much research Robert Eggers put into making sure the dialect is accurate for its time and also creating the costumes.

He really has a passion for making these films feel as accurate and immersive in this time as much as possible. But this is also kind of my problem with the film, these characters keep speaking in this dialect and from the very start we know its in a different time, basically in a different world. This made it really hard to actually connect with these characters since they pretty much seem like people from a primitive time where their biggest worry was the devil. The movie really wants you to connect with this family too and feel horrible as they tear themselves apart due to these supernatural occurrences. But I just found most of these characters either insufferable or indifferent.

It seems like I hated it but I really did find it terrifying and I was pretty into it, I just wish I connected with these characters more.

Aldo liked this review