Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★★

Last night I watched Mulholland Drive for the first time. In my review on here, I compared Lynch's work to a Rorschach test, and said that this time around "I just didn't see anything."

But I must have, because all day today it was all I could think of. Trying to figure out even a sliver of what MD meant, trying to connect scenes in my mind.

So I did what any normal person would do, I re-watched the movie I just watched the night before and didn't care for... and thank God I did.

I saw something this time. I really, really saw something. It's as if I tilted my head just a bit and the ink blots suddenly formed into something more than themselves. Scenes that felt out of place last time felt imperative, characters that I found confusing last time I now connected with, the nonsensical plot went from being frustrating to enchanting. This time I was just glad to be along for the ride, and this time I think I found some of the answers I was looking for.

Maybe I'll post an analysis at a later date, maybe not. For now all I can say is this: if you didn't fall in love with Mulholland Drive the first time around, give it another shot. You may be missing what's right in front of you.

Link to previous review: boxd.it/1FHQMJ