The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Grand Budapest Hotel ★★★★½

If anything this film made me feel shitty for missing out on Wes Anderson all this time. I’ve been meaning to check his stuff out for a while, so I’m finally getting round to it now and its GREAT! If the rest of his filmography is anything like this I’m gonna love it. The screenplay is full of dry wit, delivered with such utter hilarity from it’s stacked ensemble,  including Willem Dafoe, Tilda Swinton, Bill Murray, Soairse Ronan, Adrien Brody, Edward Norton, Jeff Goldblum, Jude Law, Owen Wilson, Tony Revolori and in particular Ralph Fiennes who utters each line with such solemnity, yet simultaneously with such crast and frivolity, providing for one of the great comedic performances of the last decade. From what I’ve seen from stills of his other work, his iconic symmetrical shot composition and vibrant colour palette is a feast for the eyes and grasps your attention with its vivacious pinks, purples and reds. His camera movements are so idiosyncratic and visionary, like nothing I’ve ever seen, but despite its visual enchantment it doesn’t detract from delivering an emotional punch. I was worried that this would just feel empty and stylistically self indulgent, but my concerns faded away as the film went on, and delivered something optically stunning, with razor sharp dialogue so uproariously funny, but also possessing so much heart and personality that drips off every one of its exuberant frames. After one film, I already love ya Wes!