Yi Yi ★★★★★

The most honest, deep, personal and beautiful assessment of life and humanity I’ve ever seen. Admittedly extremely slow moving, but intentionally so, in order for it to fully explore its themes of fear of death, and purpose of life with such a raw and poetic vulnerability. I don’t think I can say I’ve seen anything this real in my entire life, with not a single frame or cut flashing by where it didn’t feel wholly authentic. I haven’t felt so close to crying or engrossed into a set of fictional characters’ shoes like this in a very long time and I’m not even sure why. Edward Yang’s direction is flawless, his use of long takes, wide shots and movement of the camera is utterly breathtaking in such a deeply intimate and natural way. Haven’t felt this moved by a film on the first watch since ‘First Reformed’ and writing this review has only accentuated that feeling. A simply flawless film, that I don’t think I’ll ever truly recover from, maybe not one I’ll be watching on repeat, but one that’ll be on my mind on repeat for a LONG TIME.  I can’t wait to check out the rest of Yang’s filmography.

Kees liked this review