Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon

Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon ★★★★

An interesting documentary charting the rise and fall of National Lampoon, starting off as a magazine that gradually became something of a cultural touchstone as it branched out into radio and film.

I've seen documentaries on Saturday Night Live and always heard the stories about how the "Not Ready For Primetime Players", like John Belushi and Chevy Chase, were snagged from sources such as National Lampoon. This one really puts into context the impact of that loss, clearly showing how the magazine and brand struggled to regain its former greatness after losing so much key talent.

I remember seeing copies of the mag around comic shops during the 90s but after watching this doco, I realise it was in its death spiral at that time. I don't remember actually ever buying a copy. I always assumed it was kind of like Mad magazine but more adult and racy.

It was much more than that though in the beginning. There's a lot of good material presented here that made me laugh out loud. It's a worthwhile look at a former icon of American humour.

Block or Report