La La Land

La La Land ★★★★★

Do you ever have that feeling where you've been hearing about how good a movie is, and then when you finally go and see it you are afraid it wont be as good as everyone makes it out to be? That's how I felt with La La Land. Ever since reading the first review months ago, I was dying to see this film. So now that it was finally released here in Finland, I was of course scared to see it. What if it wasn't as good as I was expecting? What if it would utterly disappoint me? Well, as I'm sure you can see from the rating I gave it, it did not disappoint.

A few weeks ago I wrote an essay for school about movie magic. In it I described how it's becoming rarer and rarer because most movies are just action packed and full of explosions, at least the big Hollywood ones that the majority of people see. I then described how important this so called movie magic is. How it is something that makes one fall into the movie and just let's it take you away.
Well, La La Land is, as far as I'm concerned, the perfect example of movie magic. It grabs you from the first second and doesn't let go of you until the end credits start rolling. It's a magical ride filled with emotion, music, dance, beauty, and everything you would expect from a movie like this.

There are a few main things that caught my attention.
The first being the utter beauty of this film. Every shot is perfect. Every song is either touching or catchy. The choreography is stunning. But above all, the way the lighting is used, is simply brilliant. It makes every scene come to life and makes them look gorgeous.
Now, the other thing that I want to talk about is how the movie made me feel. There are very, very, very few movies that made me feel something as strongly as La La Land did. And La La Land made me feel happy. Seeing something like it, made me extremely happy. It made me completely forget about life outside that movie theatre. And apart from the few more serious moments, it made me smile. I was sitting there grinning like an idiot.

As far as musicals go, my knowledge is extremely limited. I have nothing against them and I enjoyed the few I've seen. But those were played out on a stage, live. As a matter of fact, I believe that La La Land is the first movie musical that I've seen from start to finish. It didn't necessarily make me want to seek out the rest of them and watch them. But what it did do, was make me appreciate movies even more. Knowing that something like it exist, is incredibly comforting. Even more comforting, however, is knowing that something like this can, not only exist, but also succeed in todays world.
So yes, La La Land is undoubtedly my favourite film of the year. It's the perfect example of the movie magic I was trying to describe in that essay of mine. Perhaps now, after seeing it, I finally understand what said movie magic truly means.

Aarne liked these reviews