Paris, Texas ★★★★★

Good night, dad
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm looking for the father.
- How can you have two fathers?
- Just lucky I guess

I never felt like you were dead. I could always feel you walking around, talking, someplace...I feel Mom too.
- I don't want anything
- Well, why'd you come here then?
- I want to talk to you

Hunter, it's me. I was afraid I'd never be able to say the right words to you...in person. So, I'm trying to do it like this. When I first saw you, this time, at Walt's, I was hoping for all kinds of things. I was hoping to show you that I was your father. You showed me I was. But the biggest thing I hoped for, can't come true. I know that now. You belong together with your mother...You belong together with your mother. It was me that tore you apart. And I owe it to you to bring you back together. But I can't stay with you. I can never heal up what happened.
I didn't want to use him to fill all my emptiness
I used to make up long speeches to you after you left. I used to talk to you all the time, even though I was alone. I walked around for months talking to you. Now, I don't know what to say. It was easier when I just imagined you. I even imagined you talking back to me. We'd have long conversations, the two of us. It was almost like you were there. I could hear you, I could see you, smell you. I could hear your voice. Sometimes your voice would wake me up. It would wake me up in the middle of the night, just like you were there in the room with me. Then...it slowly faded. I couldn't picture you anymore. I tried to talk out loud to you like I used to, but there was nothing there. I couldn't hear you. Then...I just gave up. Everything stopped. You...just disappeared. Now I'm working here. I hear your voice all the time. Every man...has your voice.
The green ghosts of the past chasing the red, connective, metaphysical strands of love and cinema as the most potent tool for the communication of this vaporous love. Emotion through motion. Love through action. There are few films that make me feel so much with so little.

There might be no finer expression of love in all of cinema than Hunter hugging Jane in the final moments of this melancholic, Western masterpiece.

Still my #3 of all time and still a 5/5