Captain America: Civil War ★★★★½

There is no review for this diary entry. Add a review?

I have watched this movie for 7 times in the cinema since its initial release. I never fail to learn something new every time I rewatched it. Its just so nicely done, all the way until the fine details.

This can technically be classified as Avengers 2.5 as the number of characters involved exceeds Avengers Age of Ultron. I went in, firmly on Team Iron Man and through the movie, I sympathised with Steve and started to sway on my stand. After giving it much thought, I still agree more with Tony's standpoint as supervision is not something you can dismiss so lightly.

That is the art of the Movie and the success of the Russo brothers. The audiences are supposed to understand both sides and there are definitely no one side that is fully responsible for the war, but everyone is equally at fault.

I painfully disagree with Black Widow's comment on asking Tony to put down his big ego. He did. He wasn't the stubborn one out here. He did everything with the benefit to the Avengers as his main priority. He was willing to listen while Steve was not.

However, I do understand why Steve reacted the way he did. It was his best friend at stake and he comes from an era when the government could not be trusted and there is close to no invisibility. At the end of the day, I can only say that the accords wasn't the one to blame for tearing the Avengers apart.

It wasn't personal until the moment Tony realised that his Captain has been lying to him about his parents' death. That is the breaking point for Tony as he realised that he had misplaced his trust, again. Bucky wasn't to blame for the deaths, but Stark was just in such a feral state that he is no longer reasonable. Let's stop here before I start ranting nonstop.

Every character seemed to have their reasons to be there, the least understandable is probably Hawkeye and Ant-man but it is not that big of an issue. They however, did an amazing job in introducing the new characters, Black Panther and Spider-Man. Chadwick Boseman and Tom Holland, people. Please give them a round of applause. Great casting choices again, hats off to Marvel!

The only major downside to this movie is that you need to at least watch the first two Captain America movie as well as Avengers 2 to fully enjoy Civil War. There are a lot of pre-established characterisation as well as incidents that led into this movie.

All in all, this is a great movie, one of the best actually for 2016.

PS: It also has, in my humble opinion, THE BEST action sequence in recent action movies.