Importing your data
For a limited time, all Letterboxd members can import data in one of three ways: directly to their account (as watched films and/or diary entries, with optional ratings), to a new or existing list, or to their watchlist.
When importing data we support the following formats:
- Letterboxd import format (CSV)
- IMDb export files (CSV)
- Delicious Library v2 or 3 export files (XML)*
- ICheckMovies export files (custom)
*Delicious Library files are only supported when importing to a list.
Letterboxd import format
The Letterboxd import format is a CSV file (with UTF-8 character encoding) that supports the following column headers in any order (other columns in your file will be ignored):
|LetterboxdURI||String (optional, the URI of the matching film or diary entry)|
|tmdbID||Number (optional, eg.
|imdbID||String (optional, eg.
|Title||String (used for matching when no ID or URI is provided)|
|Year||YYYY (optional, used for matching when no ID or URI is provided)|
|Directors||String (optional, used for matching when no ID or URI is provided)*|
|WatchedDate||YYYY-MM-DD (optional, creates a Diary Entry for the film on this day)|
|Rating||Number (optional, rating out of 5 including 0.5 increments)|
|Rating10||Number (optional, rating out of 10)|
|Tags||String (optional, added to Diary Entry if
|Review||Text/HTML (optional, allows the same HTML tags as the website, added to Diary Entry if
* Strings containing commas (such as director/tag lists or review text) must be placed inside quotes, eg:
"Joel Coen, Ethan Coen". Remember to escape quotes within quoted text.
Notes on importing
- The importer is available to Pro members only.
- The importer shows you a summary of your file before performing the import, so you can fix any mis-matched titles and/or remove any inappropriate entries.
- All films imported to your Films/Diary will be automatically marked as watched (this is an optional setting when importing films to a list).
- The importer will update existing Diary Entries if a film is imported with a
WatchedDatethe same as one already in your Diary, so you can add tags or a review to existing entries.
- Multiple lines containing the same film with the same
WatchedDatewill be combined into a single entry when the imported data is saved. If these are legitimately separate entries, you’ll need to process them manually.
- If both
Ratingcolumns contain data on any given line of the file, whichever column appears second in the file will take precedence.
- Ratings exporter for Rotten Tomatoes by hizki
- CSV converter for Lovefilm by Ian Wootten
- CSV generator for Vudu by Tieg Zaharia
- XML to CSV converter by Luxon Software (for services like Listal that offer XML export)
If you create a helper script that generates files for our importer, let us know.