Stop Making Sense

Stop Making Sense

“Stop Making Sense” starts with a shot of a pair of white sneakers. While it’s not a POV shot it has much of the same effect. It’s intimate and Engrossing. The camera shot immediately makes us participants in the concert. We’re not a passive audience member. We’re on stage right alongside David Byrne, Bernie Worrell, Tina Weymouth and the others.
“Stop Making Sense” is a hymn to the joy of performance. There were so many times when two of the Talking Heads Members would lock eyes during a song and grin at each other. It happened so often. Introducing the band members one by one allows you to pay attention to their position within the band and form a connection.
There’s no fluff. There was no backstage drama, no talking heads with the Talking Heads. Often those come off as phony.  “Stop Making Sense” is only the concert. I loved that.
Jonathan Demme is secretly one of my favorite directors. His directing of “Stop Making Sense” is precise and fluid. The variety of shots that he was able to get astounded me. The camera isn’t just pointed at the stage, it cuts in and moves around. There are no cheesy audience reaction shots.
If you’re a Talking Heads fan I would imagine you would have already seen this, but if not get on it right now. If you aren’t a fan or haven’t heard any of their songs before, I think there’s something  that you’ll be able to enjoy in “Stop Making Sense.”
P.S.: Mel Brooks once described David Lynch as “Jimmy Stewart from Mars” and I think that description is also really applicable to David Byrne. David Byrne also looks so much like Cillian Murphy it was distracting.

megan ☕️ liked these reviews