Paterson

Another one. When you’re a child you learn there are three dimensions; height, width and depth, like a shoebox. Then later you hear there’s a fourth dimensions; time. Then some say there can be five, six, seven. I knock off work, have a beer at the bar. I look down at the glass and feel glad.

Beautiful, quiet humanistic story about an ordinary couple leading an ordinary life where we follow Paterson through his everyday life and his observations on people and life. Nothing extraordinary happens in this movie and rather than this being a hindrance I think it’s actually what makes it really work. Adam Driver gives a really absorbing performance in something I wouldn’t have immediately seen him in and really plays his role with soul and a quiet compassion, and Golshifteh Farahani truly delights as his wife. This is not going to appeal to everyone because it is a slow movie, but despite that if you don’t mind watching a mundane life turned into poetry then you’re not going to be disappointed.

پ.ن: قدری اين چند روز فيلم‌های نااميد‌ كننده و بد ديدم كه اين فيلم بينشون جواهره! شيفتهٔ سادگى دلنشين، شاعرانه و زندگی‌بخش داستان شدم.

Abtin liked these reviews