The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie ★★★★

Luis Bunuel's classic satire is unique and devilishly smart, perhaps too clever for its own good. Set in a illogical world right from Bunuel's mind, the film follows a group of wealthy, upper-class people as they continuously attempt to dine together while outrageous situations stall their plans. The social commentary that primarily attacks consumerism, spoiled ideals and hypocrisy is brilliant and is still completely relevant while the political commentary is more subtle and doesn't seem to have real direction; but it still creates some hugely entertaining moments. I will tell you this now, don't go in this film trying to get something specific out of it or drive yourself crazy attempting to decipher what it all means. I did that and I quickly found myself perplexed and frustrated by the erratic structure which makes this film so special. How I know that this wasn't just a frustrating mess? Because I was always fascinated by what I was seeing and there is an obvious underlying genius evident everywhere. Bunuel toys with our heads, and forces us to acknowledge the sheer chaotic nature of the world through assaulting structure and sharp, sublime execution. I surely need to re-watch this one with a less rigid mindset so that I can embrace is preposterousness right away and not over halfway through.