The Queen's Gambit

The Queen's Gambit ★★★★½

Terrific. Highly engrossing, The Queen’s Gambit doesn’t really offer anything too surprising but it tells its story so well and with such fine production values, that it really is a joy to watch. Whilst Anya Taylor Joy has of course impressed in the likes of The Witch and Split, this role cements her as a household name (my folks are now singing her praises) and almost literally shows her maturing as an actress. She’s absolutely the reason you remain hooked. The chess play is enough to excite novices and experienced players but never enough to overwhelm the story with its complexity. The sixties look and decor is often more gobsmacking than a season of Mad Men and there simply isn’t one dull moment. Wasn’t sure at first that I was going to take to Thomas Brodie-Sangster (as Benny Watts) but he was just fine. And thrilled that Bill Camp was in this too (as Mr Shaibel). Since seeing him in The Night Of, I’ve been kicking myself for not having fully appreciated so many other roles this class character actor has been in. Scott Frank previously did the brilliant Godless for Netflix. This is another exceptional series for the streaming giant.

AdmitOne liked this review