The Handmaiden

The Handmaiden ★★★★½

Always when you think you have seen everything, Chan-wook Park comes round the corner and hits it out the park again.

Seriously guys, if you haven't watched The Handmaiden yet, stop everything you are doing, drive to a theater close by and watch this movie. It will definitely be worth your time, especially when you're a fan of South Korean cinema. I don't want to go into detail what it is about, so just let me say this: There is a handmaiden, there is a beautiful setting, there is a lot of sexual tension, there are several twists coming out of the blue, and there is Chan-wook Park directing the hell out of this thing.

Still, I want to give you a quick overview of my impressions. Although The Handmaiden starts out quite slowly, I was hooked right from the beginning. The fascinating thing about this movie is, that every time you think you are smarter than its screenplay, it comes round and proves you wrong. The cinematography in here is really impressive; maybe the best I have seen from 2016. Seriously, every god damn shot looks like a canvas, and the colour palette is truly beautiful. The performances are outstanding - from top to bottom. Everybody is terrific, especially Kim Min-Hee and Kim Tae-Ri, playing our leading couple. Finally, I have no words for Chan-wook Park's direction. It's perfect. I have been looking for words to describe it, but I am not able to. I can only say that there's no other director out there who would be able to present a story like this in such a brilliant way.

I think, it wasn't possible for me to grasp every aspect of The Handmaiden within only one viewing. I also think, this is one of those movies that will get better every time you watch it. If you haven't seen it yet, please do it. I can not recommend this enough.

Adrian liked these reviews