Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★½

It really seems to me like Tarantino movies age like a fine wine.

Once upon a Time... in Hollywood is not a perfect movie. It feels a bit random, and even drags at times, but it is so very stylish, the soundtrack is great and there are so many amazing scences in it. Like Leo's breakdown in the trailer, the kidnapping during the western shoot, the whole sequence at Spahn Ranch, or the last 25 (?) minutes... bloody hell.

I still need to see Parasite, 1917, Jojo Rabbit, Little Women and Marriage Story from the Best Picture contenders, but from what I've seen so far, this is my perosnal Best Picture. Better than Ford vs. Ferrari, better than Joker, hell yeah, even better than the Irishman, if you ask me.

DiCaprio is amazing, and I really would love to see him win that Oscar again, but I still think that it's Phoenix who will prevail this time (Although I think the're both equally good). Pitt is great as well, but he will also have a hard time against Hopkins and Hanks. I'm rooting for him tho.

Tarantino would deserve the Oscar for directing but I really need to see Parasite now, don't I? The Cinematography was good, but not 'The Lighthouse' good. Really looking forward to 1917 for that category.

Sets and costumes looked great, nominations well deserved, for the sound categories I'd go with Ford vs. Ferrari so far. The writing was superb as well, I'd really love to see Rian Johnson get that one for Knives out tho.

So... if it were up to me that's 6 outta 10 Academy Awards for Once upon a Time in Hollywood.

Mario liked these reviews