Ant-Man and the Wasp ★★½

On the plus side, this big summer funfest sports my favorite cast of any MCU subfrancise (Paul Rudd, Judy Greer, Evangeline Lilly, Michael Pena, Michael Douglas, Michelle Pfeiffer, Randall Park, and Laurence Fishburne, and the ridiculously charming Abby Ryder Fortson).  And for my money, this series has some of the most interesting action sequences (particularly Lilly’s Wasp, who wields her mix technological and physical prowess as confidently as any superhero I’ve seen on screen).  Unfortunately for Hannah John-Kamen (who is probably a great actress), the villain (Ava/Ghost) - who is given a four minute expository flashback as backstory - might just be the most perfunctory and underwritten of the entire MCU; and yet, her (and I would emphasize gender) malady/power could have made for a far more subversive and compelling character.

I feel like the MCU just cannot allow directors to get more than one or more elements right without unnecessarily sacrificing others.  With Black Panther, good performances and novel costume/set design gave way to horrible CGI.   And here, we get an even more disappointing mix.