Happy Together

Happy Together ★★★★★

Too Many Lists Challenge
2/22

“Let’s start over.”

A harsh and harrowing look into a relationship that feels all too real and honest, some scenes even felt like they were too intimate to be watching, as though I was intruding and seeing something I shouldn’t be. That’s the beauty of this film, though. It’s a rough spot that sadly so many couples have found themselves in, projected to film.

It’s a seemingly simple story, but what makes it so effective is how unique it is actually telling that story. As everyone says, it’s shot so beautifully, with very unique and unlikely visuals that truly make it stand out. It’s a bit chaotic at some points with its pacing/storytelling, but it fits with the story being told, as this is how the relationship itself feels to the characters. The lead performances add so much to it all as well, they truly give their all and break my goddamn heart in the process.

This feels like getting each bone in your body broken one by fucking one, and I can’t sit here and say I didn’t love it because I did and can’t recommend it enough. (Though, the style probably won’t be for everyone and that’s completely understandable.) This is my first Wong Kar-wai film and I can’t wait to delve deeper into his work, you’re next In The Mood For Love!

ashleigh! liked these reviews