Midsommar

Midsommar ★★★★★

This reaches masterpiece territory for me, I loved pretty much everything about Midsommar. Aster’s slow-burn, ferverous-crescendo approach to horror is very engaging for me, particularly when there’s so much quality filmmaking to take in. The structure is predictive— the very first image is a tapestry that more or less depicts the story, without giving you the context to understand it, and that will continue in smaller moments from then on. The concept of predestination is thematically woven into the film, but it also works as a horror technique, because you’re forced to watch as things you want to dismiss continuously come to pass. Just as the idyllic Swedish commune attracts wide eyed outsiders, Midsommar compels you to study its beautiful frames, even as they lead you into danger. There’s just so much detail in everything, and Aster refuses to explain it all, you have to piece it together for yourself. Which makes you want to watch it several times to see everything you missed, pulling you back even as it repulses you.

This has the edge over Hereditary for me, because it overcomes the slow start problem and the ending feels like the culmination of a character arc as well as plot progression. Just fantastic.

Alex liked this review