The Half of It

The Half of It ★★★★

Love is being willing to ruin your good painting for the chance at a great one…

I am not exaggerating when I said that I enjoyed every second of the film. I was typing this review while listening to the roll credits music, and God, I cannot contain myself from smiling while the tears flow out of my eyes. I can definitely relate to the life of Ellie Chu, besides the fact that I am a mediocre Asian student with no valuable talent whatsoever. I really thought that grades will get me so much satisfaction and happiness in life, as what my parents instilled in me, but my high school experience just felt so mundane, having no deep connections with people my age. But damn, everything really changed when you met that one person who can understand you beyond words. The Half of It is a spectacular coming-of-age film that will really render you speechless.

I also love how the film dived into the typical life and struggles of Asians, or any other minority, in a white populated country. There’s always this wall that you can never cross because of your race or ethnicity, no matter how good you are. It also delved with religion and the conflict it bring to people in love, which is very ironic, considering that these so called Gods will love us no matter what, yet have these restrictions, that will instantly send you to hell when you commit said sins.

I definitely cried at the ending. Leaving everything and everyone behind so you can be your better self is something I am currently experiencing right now, and I have never felt so alone in my entire life. Everyone just seemed to be so far away and it’s suffocating feeling like this every single day. The film intensified how I miss my family, my friends, and my significant other so bad.

I also love how it all started with one letter. I cannot express how romantic it is for someone to express what they felt through words. I want what they have, to be honest. I wish someone would construct such perfectly made sentences to articulate their feelings for me.

Alice Wu definitely snapped on this film. Leah Lewis and Alexxis Lemire’s performances are great. And can someone tell me how tall Daniel Diemer is because he looked a giant when placed next to other characters. The film had some downs, like the jokes that felt flat and unfunny, but other than that, it’s one of the best movies I’ve watched that was released this year. I hope Netflix releases more films like this, with the minorities taking the lead roles for more representation. Really recommended if you haven’t watched yet.

Anyways, two women on an isolated place, with no men in sight. A cinematic perfection.

… 🍍 🦉 🐛