Judas and the Black Messiah

Judas and the Black Messiah ★★★★

“A badge is scarrier than a gun.”

This film is everything I hoped it would be, so fucking powerful. I really needed this right now.

Going into this, I unfortunately had limited knowledge of Fred Hampton and his story. However, this was still captivating as hell. And for those who haven’t heard of him (like myself) I’m glad more people are now interested in learning more about Fred Hampton and his work. He was truly a case of a visionary cut down way too soon.

Kaluuya has such a strong screen presence, his speech scenes were completely magnetic and commanded the screen. He even handled the softer scenes well too. Anytime you get Daniel Kaluuya, Lakeith Stanfield, Jesse Plemons, and Lil Rel Howery in a movie together, you already know it’s gonna be fire.

But man, this movie had me thinking about how all of the big, black political leaders of the 60's were either killed or ended up in jail. MLK, Malcolm X, Fred Hampton, and etc. If Fred Hampton hadn't died he would’ve been 72 years old now. There was a REASON he was the target of governmental assassination. The man was a child and yet was creating a legitimate revolution that was prepped to change the world. He. Had. Power. All of these black leaders could have been active for all of the modern era.

It is extremely disheartening and frustrating that Fred Hamptons story was not introduced as part of black history in school. Therefore, like many of you, I wasn’t aware of his work. It’s funny, how much time we spent dissecting and analyzing important White figures but as soon as we get to the Civil Rights Era, only MLK is ever mentioned and Rosa Parks is glossed over.

I’m so thankful for recent TV and Film to actually teach me more about events such as Tulsa, Black Panthers, etc. He was a voice for his people, he exhibited bravery and stood in solidarity with black people at such a young age. I wish I had been introduced to his story at a younger age. He was truly an inspiration— may he rest in power.

Overall, it was an incredible movie and more revolutionaries need their own biopics because the medium of film is often times the best way to inform the public of our unsung heroes.

Note: Anyone else look up Fred Hampton speeches after watching this? Kaluuya nailed the voice—someone please just give him an Oscar already.

airwreckuh liked these reviews