Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World ★★★★

This is perhaps one of the strangest films that I have ever seen and I completely loved it. Featuring stunning visuals and completely embracing video game and nerd culture, this is a love letter to nerds like me. To top it off, this is before being a nerd was considered cool. Featuring an all star cast, unique action sequences, and plenty of humor and heart, I can see why people love this film so much.

It's really hard to describe this film. The basic plot follows Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) as he starts dating Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). To Scott's surprise, seven of Ramona's exes are all out to take down Scott. They are all modeled after bosses you would encounter in a video game. I think the biggest weakness in the story is that it takes a while to pick up but when Scott starts taking on Ramona's exes, the film starts to improve significantly. It does, however, start to drag a little bit at the end, but it wasn't that bad. As far as describing the genre of the film, that is really tough. The way I thought would best describe it is it's a psychedelic, rom-com, comic book styled film smashed into a video game. It's very weird and could either be the greatest or the worst movie ever, depending how you feel about those elements all in one film. For me it's much more of the former than the latter.

The cast is comprised of all the who's who in Hollywood. We have, of course, Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Then we also have Chris Evans, Mae Whitman, Brie Larson, Anna Kendrick, and my celebrity crush who's rocking glasses in this film, Aubrey Plaza. The cast for the most part did a great job overall. I am indifferent, however, to Michael Cera. I've never really cared for Cera in the previous films I've seen him in and this movie didn't change my mind.

Humor is a constant presence in the movie. The humor was often hit or miss, with more misses than hits unfortunately. There were still some great humorous moments. My favorite character in the film is Scott's gay roommate, Wallace Wells (Kieran Culkin) who provided constant laughs. To add to that, my two favorite scenes were with the action movie star Lucas Lee (Chris Evans) and Todd Ingram (Brandon Routh) the super vegan.

As far as the technical aspects go, there was crazy cinematography, editing, colorful production design, unique fights against the exes, a great sound track, and visual effects. Then there were also lots of text bubbles and words popping up all over the screen, yup it was great.

I think this movie, despite some problems with the humor and Scott's questionable morals, it was a really fun watch. Evoking elements from comic books, and a very strong video game vibe, this is a movie any gamer would enjoy. I wouldn't say it's just for gamers however, anyone could really enjoy this film. Boasting unique visuals and a fun, yet weird vibe, this is a thrill ride that makes the two hour run time breeze by. I highly recommend it.

P.S. On a side note, Aubrey Plaza plays Eska in the TV show, The Legend of Korra. I didn't know this before but everything makes sense now!

Andrew liked these reviews