Winchester ★★½

At first, I was confused by the lack of Helen Mirren. Then, I was confused by the presence of Helen Mirren. It's not a terrible movie, but it's also not that good. It is definitely mediocre which is why I'm confused as to the presence of the great Helen Mirren in the film. Her talent was vastly underused. I also feel like they baited and switched their audience by making us think we would be spending most of our time in the film with Helen Mirren with her picture being used on the film poster and using scenes with her in the trailer. However, we spend most of the time following around a drunk, laudenum addict. I'm not saying Jason Clarke is an actor without talent. I'm just saying his character is not that interesting. Furthermore, I'm tired of these films which should be about women being turned into films about men. What would have been wrong with making Sarah Winchester the actual focal point of the film? We certainly know that Helen Mirren has the acting chops to carry a movie on her own, and it would be refreshing to see a movie with the lead a woman in her later years as opposed to seemingly relegating her to a secondary character role when obstensibly the film is about her in the first place.