Midsommar ★★★★★

At work one day, I casually checked The Alamo Drafthouse's schedule and happened to see that the infamous and long-awaited (especially if you're me) Director's Cut would be playing over Labor Day weekend. I about lost my mind; my coworkers now officially think I'm insane. I was literally dancing as I bought tickets to three showings. I don't think anything has made me that happy since I last saw David Bowie in concert in 2004 (RIP :( ). I had barely dared to hope that I'd get the chance to see this version, let alone multiple times, and at such a perfect venue. A day or so later, I started hearing from just about everyone I knew, making sure I knew that it was playing/asking if I'd seen it yet. It means so much to me that so many people associate me with this film - there is almost no higher honor. <3

I had purposefully avoided reading anything about the added scenes so that I would get to experience it blind for the "first" time, and I was so glad I did. Almost all of the added material felt essential, important, and fleshed out the film more fully. I found the additional night scene a bit jarring, and it threw me for a bit of a loop, but I got over it. There were several lines/scenes that make more sense now, like the "astrological match" line (because now we know that Pelle sent Christian's information ahead of time), which had bothered me a tiny bit before.

I don't know if it was the new cut or the Alamo's equipment, but the Director's Cut print was CRYSTAL CLEAR and just so gorgeous that I saw things I hadn't seen before (believe it or not!), and it made for an exceptional new experience. This is the movie that just keeps giving.

It had been almost three weeks since I'd last seen the theatrical cut, and I was honestly jonesing a bit, so this whole experience was just so amazing. There were only maybe 10 people in the (small) theatre, and it was nearly silent, so with the exceptional sound system, I was really able to take everything in and I will admit that I teared up several times.

It might sound silly to anyone other than me, but I just feel SO fortunate to have been able to see this cut, let alone at a theatre that values film as art and gives us mere mortals the opportunity to experience transcendence like this on an otherwise ordinary holiday weekend.

Alannah Rose liked these reviews