Parasite

Parasite ★★★★★

When this film was announced as an advance screening for members only at one of my favorite arthouse theatres (and for free, no less!), I pretty much cleared my schedule immediately. I had to drive for just under two hours through heinous construction and rush-hour traffic, but I knew it would be worth it (and I wasn't wrong!).

I knew little about the plot beforehand and had only seen the trailer a couple of times, and that really enhanced my experience, so I don't want to go into any specifics here for that reason. A lot of the awesomeness of this film is due to the surprises, twists and WTF moments (and there are many).

The writing is much funnier than I'd expected, but it's equally dark and super disturbing, and the mood turns on a dime. The acting is superb and the film is also beautifully shot with gorgeous locations, both interior and exterior. The costumes are great and every character is styled in a subtle but incredibly effective way. The score is perfect and really enhances all of the emotional beats and shifts in mood and tone, which are numerous and complicated.

As I watched, I was trying to imagine how the ending could possibly be satisfying or feel "right" for such a unique and special story, but it was just as well-executed as the rest of the film, so I shouldn't have even spent a moment questioning it.

Really, I can't think of a single element or moment that I didn't like, or even a nitpicky complaint. When the movie ended, the stranger on my right looked at me and just said "WOWWWW" and I said "YEAH" and we sat through the credits in stunned silence. The couple on my left immediately started complaining about the movie, though, so clearly not everyone falls under its spell. Cool with me - the fewer people I'm fighting for tickets when I see it again, the better.

Alannah Rose liked these reviews