Rocketman ★★★★★

I knew it was going to be great from the first moment Taron Egerton appeared on screen and curved his upper lip in the classic Elton John manner. He didn't just act the part, he transformed into Elton John in a way that I didn't think was possible for anyone. I felt so much joy while watching this. I know it's not a perfect film and it has many inaccuracies, but I don't really care. Personally I think biopics are very often bound to disappoint as there's only so much that can be told in two hours, so I really appreciated the very bold move of telling us Elton's story by moulding it around Bernie's lyrics for their songs. It's not very informative, but this isn't a biopic about Abraham Lincoln, it's about Elton John, and it's only fitting that his life be told in the form of a musical fantasy. It's a perfect tribute to the man and the legend. It's the closest we can get to real magic.

P.S.: if you have any doubts about the quality of the music in here and the fact that they're all Elton John songs isn't enough to convince you, all you need to know is that the music director for this film was Giles Martin. Giles Martin is the son of George Martin, who produced many famous and successful artists for several decades, and was the man who discovered The Beatles and produced all of their albums.

Alice liked these reviews