Cobain: Montage of Heck

Cobain: Montage of Heck ★★★★★

An authorized documentary on the late musician Kurt Cobain, from his early days in Aberdeen, Washington to his success and downfall with the grunge band Nirvana.

This is superb film making. This isn't just your traditional bio doc, it's adventurous, raw and really unique. I am a big Nirvana fan and I have been since I was a kid but you will not have to be a fan of the band to enjoy this. The animated accompaniments to the tapes and recordings were extremely well handled and it really reminded me of The Devil and Daniel Johnston doc. The majority of this is really harrowing and it left me cold all over. The footage of Kurt holding his daughter whilst being absolutely smacked out of his tits was a particularly hard watch. It was such a shame that he suffered so much, maybe without the drugs he could have worked through his sickness but you really have to feel for the man, he just seemed to be fighting a losing battle constantly. I was worried before I went in to see how this would all end but it seemingly ends perfectly.

My only nitpick is that I would have liked to have seen some involvement from Dave Grohl as I think alot of people would have loved his perspective on Kurt.

It's harrowing, it's informative and it's incredibly well executed.

Alexander liked this review