Groundhog Day

Groundhog Day ★★★★½

"Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today." - Phil

Seeing as I watched one of my favourites a few days ago, here is another one of my favourites that I can watch countless times and never get sick of. Harold Ramis and Bill Murray from the Ghostbusters team up for the 1993 classic Groundhog Day, I still remember the first time I saw this since my Mum told me about it. It was my 20th birthday in 2015 and with a Victoria Sponge Cake in my left hand and a bottle of Kopparberg Cider in the other, I had a complete blast watching this and it became an instant favourite of mine.

Phil (Bill Murray), a sarcastic and egotistical weatherman finds himself inexplicably living the same day over and over again and is stuck on a loop on February 2nd, also known as Groundhog Day.

Bill Murray is one of my favourite comedic actors, he is just amazing. Every line he delivers is just comedic perfection in my eyes and he gives one of his best perfomances here. It's great to see his character develop as he relives the same day over and over again and sometimes he enjoys it and on other days, not so much.

Harold Ramis produced a masterstroke of genius with this, you think this movie would tire seeing as it's set in the same location and you are going to spend the entire movie there but it doesn't tire. Very fantastic film craftsmanship is on display here and you are just hooked into the film once Phil realizes he is stuck in Groundhog Day thanks to excellent comedy and seeing Phil trying to make Rita (Andie MacDowell) fall in love with him and it's amazing to see his character change into a better person overall.

What I like the most about Groundhog Day is all the different things Phil tries as he repeats the same day over and over again, when he realizes he is reliving the same day over and over again, he gets really happy and starts living life without limits, then he gets sad because he's done just about everything and the film is just so funny throughout. You start to really care for Phil after his many failed attempts to try and make Rita fall in love with him and I couldn't think of anyone better to play Phil but Bill Murray, he really made the role his own and it's one of his best career performances.

For me Groundhog Day is a near perfect movie, it has a brisk pace, astounding comedic moments, great heart and is also serves as nice drama piece of cinema from time to time. From Harold Ramis's masterclass direction, Danny Rubin's clever story, a great yet subtle score by George Fenton that suits the film perfectly, Pembroke J. Herring's flawless editing and Bill Murray's superb performance. This is just one of the best, it's hard for a movie to leave me feeling happy and fully satisified but this movie does that to me time after time and has rightfully earned it's place in my top 15 favourites of all time.

9.5/10