The Simpsons Movie ★★★½

"Ok, boys, when you meet Jesus, be sure to call Him Mr. Christ."
"Will Buddha be there?"
"No."

The Simpsons is my favourite show of all time, in my eyes I consider Seasons 1 to 10 of the show to be the best television ever produced in our lifetime. The characters, the animation, the smart writing, the music, the hilarious comedy, the heartfelt moments and smart satire are just masterclass, sure the show has turned into Zombie Simpsons but I still love it for how it shaped my overall humour. It's crazy we had to wait 18 years after the shows airing for a movie to be released but thankfully we did and despite it coming post golden age, it's overall a good fun ride.

After Homer pollutes the town's water supply, Springfield is encased in a gigantic dome by the EPA and the Simpsons are declared fugitives and are on the run.

All the characters are here which we love including Homer, who pollutes the town which leads him and his family to flee Springfield and become fugitives. Homer is my favourite Simpsons character and his lines just make me laugh although sadly he is a bit of a jerk post golden age, what I liked about Homer is how he cared for his family and we see that in the episode 'Rosebud' where he lets Maggie keep Bobo the Bear. Sadly he turned into a cartoon of himself post golden era but I like how he redeems himself by the end of the film.

I do find the Bart / Flanders story arc to be one of the best things about this movie and I enjoy all their interactions and I'm glad Flanders feels more like a character here than you know being a Flanderization, see what I did there? Also Marge is the voice of reason once again which is nice, I think we love Homer because Marge loves Homer and also the tape he leaves him in Alaska, man felt so real. The Lisa story I didn't care for much but it was nice she was given another love interest that isn't Milhouse or Nelson, and we did get the classic "He's not Bono" line from Colin. Last but not least we get all the Springfeldians we know and love like Krusty, Moe, Mr. Burns, Smithers, Dr. Hibbert, Quimby and many others, it's such a shame they didn't get Sideshow Bob in as Kelsey Grammer is always a treat to watch especially in 'Cape Feare' from Season 5 which is one of my favourites.

Best character for me though is Russ Cargill voiced by Albert Brooks, Brooks just brings so much to his characters that he has voiced in The Simpsons, sure Russ isn't as fantastic as Hank Scorpio but Brooks still does an amazing job and I'm glad they got him on this project. This project could have been meh but many of the crew that worked on the show returned for this and David Silverman does a great job with the direction of this film and moves at a brisk pace, also the animation is amazing and has some really nice shots in this, I do still miss the classic animation that we saw from the golden years though. I will say that I do think people come down to hard on The Simpsons post Season 10 seeing as I actually find Seasons 11 to 20 pretty good and have some great episodes in, but if I was in charge of the show I would have ended it with the Season 11 finale "Behind the Laughter" since I think that was the perfect end point for the show.

Before I end this review by going to the conclusion I would just like to thank Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer, Pamela Hayden and Tress MacNeille for bringing all these wonderful characters to life and without them The Simpsons wouldn't be what it is.

Overall 2007's The Simpsons Movie is a fun outing by my favourite show and has some good laughs and giggles while also proving to be a good Homer redemption story, it has a brisk pace and makes for an easy watch. Sure it doesn't come close to what the golden years of the show from 1989 to 1999 achieved but is a good solid fun movie that I enjoy, also this film needed more Groundskeeper Willie, just saying.

7.5/10