Candyman

Candyman ★★★

Shoutout to the dude who told me "the trailer for Keanu Reeves Candyman came out" a few years ago and I looked it up and said "you mean Produced Jordan Peele?" and he says he always gets them confused. I coincidentally ran into him in the theatre I am dead serious.

This is Nia DaCosta's Candyman put some respect on her name.

This is the first post-Halloween (2018) movie in the current wave of modern horror franchises doing sequels directly to the first one and it was a treat!

Colman Domingo rocks so hard in literally everything. This is very good. My main problem lies in the teen girls. They're completely just filler. The third act felt a little rushed too but it still landed pretty solid overall. The script really isn't the greatest, I think the guy sitting next to Teyonah Parris at dinner and that they saw at the restaurant felt like he was a former boyfriend or potential threat that Anthony didn't like but that may have just been me thinking that. Teyonah Parris' father is obviously a completely undeveloped plot thread and I think the idea that he would obvious be the lead suspect in the killings could have been more fleshed out.

Otherwise it's so good. As good as a modern Candyman sequel could be. New mythology is so cool. Way to go team!

Kill Count: