The Godfather: Part II

The Godfather: Part II ★★★★★

FUCK. The one dilemma that I I’ve always had is which one to I prefer more, The Godfather or The Godfather Part II? I usually just say Part II but it’s a very tough decision, for me at least. Both are some of the greatest films, but together, they form one of the greatest stories ever put to film.

One of my favorite all times films. Great cast and even better performances. It all feels so authentic and real. The sets and locations enhance the authenticity and allow for a genuine immersive experience into the world and story. The intercutting between the story of 1950s Michael (Al Pacino) and the rise of Vito (Robert De Niro) perfectly compares and contrasts the two. One of my favorite scenes in the film is when Tom Hagen (Robert Duvall) pays Frank Pentangeli a visit in the penitentiary. Their conversation, which allegorically refers to the Corleone Family as the Roman Empire, cuts deep enough to bring tears to those involved since the early days. The way that they basically, and indirectly, tell him to kill himself is so clever. The Corleone Family = The Roman Empire. It was cool to see many younger versions of characters from both films here. We briefly (and not so briefly) see young versions of: Clemenza, Tessio, Hyman Roth, Don Tommasino, and of course the entire Corleone Family. The penultimate scene around December 7, 1941, or Pearl Harbor Bombings (Vito’s birthday), was fantastic and provides tons of backstory for both films. I wonder if that was an outtake from the first film or shot specifically during production for part two?

Such a somber film and the melancholic score (particularly at the very end) only enhances said feeling. We go through about half a century of story, covering the rises and falls of father and son.
In the final close up of Michael, we see a man who has, in retrospect, seen the consequences of his actions. His eyes indicate unhappiness and regret. Being—or rather feeling—alone is the worse punishment that one can experience.

Il lavoro di un maestro.

Alexj_movieguy liked these reviews