Suspiria ★★★★½

Hoop-Tober #10

I went into this expecting a beautiful but kinda fine, story-wise film. Well I got the first, but not the latter.

This movie is bloody gorgeous! It has been said for many movies, but in this one seriously every shot is a painting. The color pallet, the buildings, the dresses, the lighting, the camera movement, the score (which is so damn creepy), the direction, the acting. Technically this is one of the most perfect films ever!

Now as far as the story goes it ain't bad. The first hour had a great mystery and I really got behind all that. I was interested and I wanted to find out more about it. But after a point something happened and something was introduced that kinda set me off. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't my style. I still liked it, but I didn't love it, like I did the rest of the film. The last 15 minutes are 100% perfection! The dream like scenery, with the horrifying score, the Lynch-like direction, the perfect pacing, the Hitchockian atmosphere and the excellent acting all led to one hell of a finale!

If it just wasn't for the style of horror they went for......

A