Phantom of the Paradise ★★★½

I'm gonna need time to process this movie. I enjoyed it, absolutely, but I can't figure out what rating to give it. It's not perfect, as it had things about it I definitely didn't like and thought could have been better but at the same time it's such a strange and unique creation I can't even decide if I'd consider it great. The symbolism and messages are obvious but not forced and the story structure is very strange. It's fast paced but maybe too fast, as in some elements are suddenly introduced at the last 10 minutes of the film and it's over the top but maybe it's a good thing but maybe not???

It has things I can definitely pin down as good or not good, like the music being fucking great, same with the production design and cinematography, but also we get a scene where security camera footage has shot-reverse-shot editing for some reason. These elements are few and far between, though, as for the most part I can't even decide what it is I like and don't like. It's such a weird fucking movie. I'd recommend it for sure, but also I don't know if it's good, mediocre, or actually fucking great.