Phantom Thread

Phantom Thread ★★★★½

Paul Thomas Anderson continues his streak of beautifully opaque, character-helmed films with this utterly lush, complex and aesthetically superior costume dram(a/edy).
I did have some second thoughts about it towards the end (out of confusion, mostly), but I still fervently adored watching this for nearly the entire time.

It's one of the most well designed films I've seen in a long time (strikingly similar to The Earrings of Madame de, which is no surprise considering Paul himself cited Max Ophuls as one of his main inspirations), and despite being smaller in scope than things like Magnolia or TWBB, it could feel just as grandly imposing, honestly.
Daniel Day-Lewis and Vicky Krieps were both excellent as well, and ugh, I'll have seen everything once the day comes when I can find proper words to praise Jonny Greenwood's score.

I'm definitely in the minority when I say that PTA's films are, more often than not, just shy of being masterpieces, but I was honestly shocked by how riveting this was, as it's his second best film, and possibly his greatest achievement technically, so far.
For any film to be as good as Magnolia is almost unimaginable in my opinion, but wow, if a film came close...

Block or Report