Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time

Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time ★★★★★

What do you wish for?

An absolute monster of a film, which not only shows how far Hideaki Anno has come as an artist and director since '95, but also retroactively justifies the existence of the Rebuilds with such an incredible, life-affirming message within its center.

The visuals in these films were always a positive, but damn, the direction here is on another level. The quiet, introspection which brims with heart, and the fantastic, brain-melting sci-fi cataclysm (with some of the most striking callbacks to iconography I have ever seen) are both perfect, with Sagisu's soundtrack continuing to be god-tier. After the unrelenting darkness of 3.0, the story takes wild directions that have such radical kindness, honesty, and understanding that I couldn't help but tear up at some points. All of this, with the spark, the heart that made Evangelion such a hit with millions of viewers and weebs all over the world.

Stunned that not only was this good as it is with my thoughts on the rebuilds, but with how Anno managed to make a THIRD 10/10 ending. I feel absolutely indebted to him for always being honest with his art, and he deserves all the rest and happiness in his future creative endeavors.

For him and for all of us, a Neon Genesis is on the everlooming horizon.

Block or Report