Rocketman ★★★

“I started acting like a cunt in 1975.”

It is impossible for me to think of Rocketman without comparing it to Bohemian Rhapsody. After Bryan Singer was fired from Bohemian Rhapsody, Dexter Fletcher took over. For Rocketman, Dexter Fletcher is the credited director for better or worse. I'm not 100% sold on all the artistic choices. It fell flat a lot of the time for me.

I had the same interest in Elton John as I did in Freddie Mercury. I was familiar enough with the music of theirs I happened to hear over the years, but I was not an ultra fan or anything.

I didn't feel that Taron Egerton was as strong of an actor as Rami Malek. The power and enthusiasm just wasn't there. Egerton wasn't bad at all, but I didn't feel he was able to carry it as well.

Also, Rocketman was released at the end of May; if it had been a real awards contender, it probably would have been released at the end of the year. My thoughts are personal, so perhaps the film and Egerton's performance will gain traction and have a shot at the awards, but it simply didn't work for me.

The costumes were outrageously wonderful as well as the scene where Elton and the audience float at the Troubadour. For the acting, I actually did appreciate Gemma Jones who played Elton's grandmother and Jamie Bell, who played Bernie Taupin.

Sometimes I felt like Ken Russell came back from the dead to direct some of the fantastical sequences of the film, but Dexter Fletcher still definitely took a more straightforward approach to the material, as it was no Savage Messiah (1972) or The Music Lovers (1971).

Stumbling across a video on YouTube: Top 10 Things Rocketman Got Factually Right and Wrong, I was informed about some songs that appeared in the wrong period. I usually care about that sort of thing, but there's a time to let it go when it moves the story forward and it ultimately true to the spirit of the narrative.

Vegan alerts:
-Pork chops and sausages
-Elton wears a fur coat
-Lyrics reference fishing, leather boots, and hunting horny back toad

Allison liked these reviews