Possessor

Possessor ★★★★

"You said it yourself, you've become a danger."
"Did I say that?"

I'm struck by how Possessor frames familial obligation as a barrier to amorality. For Vos' line of work, her emotion is her greatest weakness. She holds many strengths, many specific skills that make her better suited for the job than many other candidates, though she remains hesitant to take the final step off the edge. Her loved ones blur her vision too much to see the true depths of what she could become.

Being an assassin comes with its own moral concerns, but what about this darkly fantastical concept of killing in someone else's body? This level of intrusion is perverse, and it's compared directly to the very real act of data mining that also exists in this terrifying world. I would've imagined that to possess another person it would be better to hold on to your own identity as much as you can, but as Possessor imagines the process, it's best to rid yourself of identity completely. Vos is a wife and a mother, and those relationships anchor her in the worst sense, threatening to drown her. She can be a murderer, and she can be a thief of consciousness, but can she do that to the people she loves? Her love for them creates vulnerability, and in doing such a horrific task, there is no room for weakness. It's disturbing, shocking, and very, very sad.

Jacob liked these reviews