Take Shelter

Take Shelter ★½

If you love Take Shelter, good for you. I have no interest in convincing anyone this film is bad. As I've stated before, I rate films based on personal enjoyment and emotional connection.

I have absolutely zero interest in narratives like this. I'm talking about narratives where mentally ill characters have hallucinations and delusions that that end up being true and a surprise to everyone, proving they were right all along. As a person who has struggled with experiencing hallucinations and delusions, this really does not sit well with me. It doesn't scare me or even offend me, it just strikes me as completely false and uninteresting. It just feels like a cheap cop-out. Doctors are not out to get you or put an end to your "prophetic visions." They're there to help. Perhaps the ending of this film is all just another hallucination or dream -- I slightly prefer that interpretation, but I still think it's a horrible ending to the narrative.

It may seem as if my only issue with the film was the ending, but I assure you, I didn't like it from the start. I find Jeff Nichols' direction to be consistently lacking momentum. I don't feel tension or building dread, just boredom. Every scene feels cold and distant and simply uninteresting. Shannon and Chastain deliver strong performances that Nichols doesn't know how to handle.

The only amazing thing about this film is that somehow it's not my least favorite of Nichols work. Sorry for such a hateful review, but this film really rubbed me the wrong way. I'm happy the rest of you were able to appreciate it more than I could.

Rating: 22/100