The Panic in Needle Park

The Panic in Needle Park ★★★★

Didn’t expect to love this as much as I did. and it’s not only because of gorgeous Al Pacino.. *Mean Streets Johnny Boy voice* I swear on my motha I swear to christ!

Sure, it has its flaws.. it doesn’t really develop the relationship beginnings or establish what exactly Helen sees in Bobby for it to flourish, among other things. Yet, it’s one of the most brutally honest films about addiction that I’ve seen. It erases all sorts of artistic possibility that can be achieved within a film and submerges you into the stark reality of Needle Park.

It’s people so trapped by vice that they can only look after themselves. It’s shown through Bobby’s OD where the woman just doesn’t want his death to be on her hands. Even Hank, his own brother, doesn’t seem all too concerned with his wellbeing. They’re too busy constantly looking over their shoulder that they don’t realize the inhumanity and coldness that is weaving itself into their existence.

Seeing Helen’s descent into this world is tough. Particularly that one scene, where they’re in the street, Bobby has her face in his hands and realizes she’s done it, was so heartbreaking. She’s in. There’s pain in his eyes.. I’ve dragged her along with me into the darkness. Yet, he knows he’ll continue to drag her along. He’s in too deep.

ambar liked these reviews