BlacKkKlansman

BlacKkKlansman ★★★★★

I'm trying to find the perfect words to describe how incredible this film is, but I am left speechless.

Spike Lee creates an atmosphere that is filled with pride, tension, heritage and cruelty. He depicts each of these things in such a detailed manner, and shows us the history of racism to present day. He has always managed to incorporate as many video components as he can, which makes his films seem like a documentary.

Possibly the most intriguing aspect of this film was the screenplay. The dialogue was sharp, bold and perfectly written to show the depths of this hatred and the power of community. The performances by John David Washington and Adam Driver were excellent and their chemistry was great to watch! What I admired the most about this screenplay, was the calling out of white supremacy. It was not only stated in relation to the KKK, but white supremacy in places of power such as, the police department and those in office. Spike Lee blatantly called it out and that's why this film is so important and powerful.

Spike Lee also had some incredible shots and the cinematography was well thought out because of the symbolism behind certain images. I could praise this film all day if I could, but I'm still trying to find the words to. The last 15 minutes of this film left me anxious, frustrated, sad and incredibly angry that racism is plaguing our society today, and that there is a man in office who is encouraging this kind of behaviour.

Blackkklansman is a huge deal. IT IS A MASSIVE DEAL. It's not enough that I'm telling you how good it is, you need to see this to believe it! Not only because of the hype, but to fully understand the gravity of the current socio-political climate.

Block or Report