I, Tonya

I, Tonya ★★★★½

This film is possibly one of my favourite biopics to ever exist. This film is completely unique and is truly in a league of its own. The story of Tonya Harding was known worldwide and the world failed to actually know her story.

The darling trio of a cast did an extrodinary job delivering this story. Margot Robbie was outstanding and after watching her first scene I knew this was going to be her Oscar winning performance. She embodied Harding and made sure to work just as hard as she did. The Queen, Allison Janney blew me away. Her role as Harding's mother, LaVona was so harsh and brutal, that she had me laughing every single time she opened her mouth. I swear to the Oscar gods if she doesn't get a nom for Supporting it would be an injustice to the film industry. The lovely Sebastian Stan was transformed and gave a fantastic performance of her deranged husband Jeff and he had a great chemistry with Margot!

I have always been a fan of figure skating, I would watch it religiously whenever the Winter Olympics were on. I knew about Harding and was conditioned to dislike her because everyone else did. I loved how they captured scenes on ice, it's the first time I've ever seen someone take on the figure skating world and actually do it justice. I loved the choices Gillespie made. Even though his stylistic choices were all over the place, I felt like it worked for how frantic her life was. It worked because of the multiple sides this story had and to use different techniques made it stronger. This film showed the brutal character assassination of a woman who just loved to figure skate. It was frustrating and heartbreaking to watch her go through something this harsh.

I seriously can't wait for you all to see this!

manda liked these reviews