Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★½

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is brilliant.

Tarantino’s direction is fantastic; the set design, cinematography, editing and music all help to set the mood for each scene and it looks great. The acting is great from everyone, especially Leonardo DiCaprio. I love the “movies/TV shows within movies” sequences with Rick Dalton. I also love how the film structures itself as a retelling of actual events, which means it does a great job building tension. We all know the Sharon Tate story so we’re all thinking “Oh shit this is gonna happen.” But the final 30 minutes happen and all I could see was Quentin Tarantino saying “Oh you thought I was making a Coen Brothers-style biopic huh?” It’s classic.
The only thing I’d change is the pacing as it feels a bit humdrum halfway through, and one particular scene of Margot Robbie’s (that they keep cutting to and from) could have been shortened. There’s also a Brad Pitt scene that, while integral to the plot, goes on for far too long. Other than that, this is my favorite movie of 2019 so far. Absolutely fantastic tribute to the Hollywood Golden Age.

William liked these reviews