Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again ★★★★

This is just pure joy. It embraces the campness more fully than the first film and is far better for it. It looks great, the numbers are all fun and at least one was quite moving. (I expected to cry, but I didn't expect to have to hold back full on blubbering).

Sometimes all I want is a movie that will make me feel good and this does the job perfectly. Like I said, it's pure joy and I couldn't stop smiling (except when I was crying).

Also, I wasn't 100% sure about Lily James—I've found her charming enough until now—but after this performance I'm sold. She just exuded joie de vivre as Donna should. She was lovely. The entire cast is great (returning and new—all the actors playing Donna's suitors as young men were very handsome!) and clearly having a ball! And it comes through.

The only downside to this film is that I have a renewed desire for satin overalls. Wait. That's not a downside at all!

Oh, I am kinda bummed Colin Firth's character didn't get a boyfriend...but I'm happy to see him back in satin. You win some, you lose some, I suppose.

Andi B. liked these reviews