The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★★

This was a lot of fun, and it was also so relatable. I loved the representation of a "weird" family. This is one of those films that made you feel proud of being part of a group of weirdos, an unconventional and dysfunctional family working together to save the world from a robots' invasion.

The Mitchells vs. the Machines is a chaotic fast-paced sci-fi adventure flick, that explores some relevant themes such as the importance of family, parent-child relationships, believing in yourself and never giving up, and how our attachment to technology is keeping us apart. It is not without some expected clichés, and the story is a bit predictable, but it also has some really creative ideas, and the overall visual style is eye-popping. I loved this particular style of animation, and the somewhat frenetic editing choices, which also add some distinctiveness to the formula. There are plenty of cool and hilarious moments of family action, and the characters are very captivating.

I connected with this film on a more personal level, especially with Katie and the relationship with her father. Since I was a little kid, I've always aspired to be a filmmaker, but never got the chance to get into film school, mainly because I never felt supported by my family, I always felt they simply didn't believe in me. Let's say they are like Rick, they don't know art could be useful, therefore, they've always told me to study something more "useful". Since they made me feel more and more insecure about studying filmmaking, before I started college, I didn't know what else to study, so I got into Business School, which isn't really my thing, but, now I'm almost finishing my degree (this year, hopefully). It never worked out, I've always felt so out of place and restricted; whenever I've tried to do something creative, they always force me to follow a procedure set in stone. I wanted to quit, but, I didn't want to disappoint my parents, therefore, I decided to study for a second degree, simultaneously. That's when I started studying Electrical Engineering, which I actually really like, I've always been a science guy, and I feel like my knack for creativity and innovation is much more appreciated. It's not filmmaking, but at least I like what I could do, and it also could be useful to a filmmaker, in case someday I become one. Never stop believing in yourself, in your abilities. Never give up. If you have children, always make them feel capable of achieving anything they want in life. Don't put pressure on them. Don't let them feel insecure.

BEST FILMS 2021