Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★½

I think it’s becoming increasingly clear that I’m just kinda not a big fan of Zack Snyder’s style as a director. Which is weird, cos normally I absolutely lap up the whole “style over substance” shtick but for some reason I’ve never been able to do that with Snyder’s films. Watchmen is definitely my favourite of his that I’ve seen but even then my biggest issues with it are with Snyder’s stylistic choices. I don’t know if it’s because his specific brand of stylish filmmaking feels more self-indulgent where some of my favourite “style over substance” type films like Baby Driver feel a lot more loose and unconcerned with using their style for anything more than fun.

I don’t feel I have anything more to say about Army of the Dead that I wouldn’t also say against Snyder’s other films. This one is certainly much more enjoyable to me than say 300. I can see lots to enjoy from it, some sequences and moments were genuinely entertaining and fun as hell. But for the most part the characters were hollow and uninteresting - except for Nora Arnezeder as Lily, I enjoyed her character quite a bit - the story didn’t engage me at all and the action didn’t do nearly enough interesting or creative to make up for either of those issues. Zombie tiger was cool tho 🤷🏻‍♂️

2021 Ranked