Timecrimes ★★★★

I fell in love with this Spanish indie scifi/horror flick. It's stripped-down and focused, but not at the expense of a layered and evolving plot. It's well-explained with good dialogue, but not to the detriment of the audience's intelligence.

This film also does a really good job, better than most I've seen, of playing with some really dark concepts and forcing you to reexamine what you think of the main character.

Timecrimes is a great example of the type of horror movie I'm always on the hunt for: small-scale without being super obvious about it, solid acting, and a neat concept that doesn't just "stay" a neat concept. So many indie horrors I watch (and I've been trying to watch a lot lately) have a really cool idea and then just... don't do anything with it. This movie does stuff and managed to stay one step ahead of me most of the time, and that also deserves extra props.

Really solid camerawork too, almost hypnotic sometimes. My only complaints mostly stem from "first film" issues from writer-director Nacho Vigalondo (there's no escaping how cheap it feels sometimes, and not all the acting is stellar), but there's no question he's on my radar now and I'm looking forward to tackling the rest of his filmography soon.