Raiders of the Lost Ark

Raiders of the Lost Ark ★★★★★

"It's not the years honey it's the mileage"
Raiders of the Lost Ark needs little to no explanation- it's a 5 star classic film absolutely no question. Starring Harrison Ford (Star Wars, Blade Runner) as archaeologist adventurer Indiana Jones and Directed by Steven Spielberg at the height of his creative powers.

Raiders concerns Indys quest to find and recover the "lost Ark" of the Covenant before Hitlers Nazis acquire it and use its powers to win the upcoming World War.
It was an homage to the cinema serials of the 30s and 40s that both Spielberg and co plotter George Lucas grew up watching- and it's a near perfect melding of old school swashbuckling adventure story with modern filmmaking techniques (though thankfully being the early 80s the effects were all practical with no CGI to cheapen the look).

Raiders is 40 years old!! this month so there's no better time to revisit this classic and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed every second of its almost 2 hour runtime. Not once did I feel like the narrative dragged or the pacing dropped (not something that can be said of alot of todays CGI stuffed "blockbusters").
Also that music - i mean its John Williams so it was always going to be epic but, just like Jaws and Star Wars, Raiders has an incredible atmospheric score and tunes that you'll be humming for a long time afterwards.

Alongside Ford as Indy Raiders (I REFUSE to refer to it as Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark) has a stellar supporting cast from Karen Allen as feisty sidekick Marian Revenwood to Paul Freeman as scheming French "archaeologist" Rene Belloq and Denholm Elliott as Indys University patron Marcus Brody.
I watched the standard blu ray as I've yet to get the recently released 4K set but the disc looked very impressive picture wise and the quality of the immersive surround sound was on a par with the Star Wars releases in that it really helped elevate an already superlative film.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of my favourite films and in my view is only bested narrowly by Temple of Doom as the best Indiana Jones film. Its a film that I can watch endless times and yet still be swept away in its narrative and setting for 2 hours of fantastically crafted entertainment
Do I even need to say how highly recommended this film is?

Angelus315 liked these reviews